Improvements to our website

We have made changes to our website to improve the way it looks and to give residents a better experience. You can find out more about this update here. 

How to prepare a valid planning application

Forms – for all applications

These forms are required for all planning application types. 

  • Application form

    This form contains your contact information and details about the proposed development.

    What you need to do

    Why it is needed

    Further guidance 

    Fill in all relevant parts of the form accurately.

    Sign and date the form.

    To process and record your application.

    See detailed guidance below.

    Make sure you:

    Best practice example:

    Detailed guidance:

    If you're not able to submit your application online, download copies of all application forms (external website).

    Parts of the application form

    What it means

    Further guidance

    1. Applicant name and address



    2. Agent name and address


    If you're not using a planning agent you can leave this section blank.

    3. Description of proposed works

    A clear and specific description of the works you want to do.

    Be specific about the works you want to do, and explain where the works will take place on the site.

    4. Site address

    The address of the property or site where you want to carry out the works.


    5. Pedestrian and vehicle access, roads and rights of way

    Details of any new or changed pedestrian and vehicle access points.


    6. Pre-application advice

    Have you used our Planning Advice service?

    If you've used the service, write the reference number and the names of any planning officers you spoke to.

    7. Trees and hedges

    Details of any trees on site, and any trees within falling distance of your proposed development.

    Please mark the position of trees on a scaled plan and include the plan reference number in this section of the form.

     8. Parking

    Details about if the works will affect existing parking arrangements.


     9. Authority employee/member

    Declaration of whether you are:

    • a member of staff

    • an elected member

    • related to a member of staff, or

    • related to an elected member of the council


     10. Materials

    Details of the materials you will be using for your works.

    Describe the existing and proposed wall, roof, and window and door materials. Include the colour and type of materials.

    If you've labelled the materials on your plans instead, include the plan reference numbers in this section of the form.

    11. Ownership certificates and agricultural
    land declaration

    Confirm whether you're the owner of the property and fill in the right certificate.

    Details on which certificate you should complete are in the Ownership Certificate section of this webpage.

    12. Planning Application Requirements - Checklist

    A checklist of everything you need to submit.


    13. Declaration

    Confirm that you've submitted all necessary documents, and check all the information in the form is correct.

    Before you submit the form, double check:

    • Are my contact and address details correct?

    • Have I fully described the work I want to do?

    • Have I submitted a site plan and a location plan?

    • Have I submitted the existing and proposed drawings? 

    • Do I know the correct fee to pay?

    • Do my plans all have scale bars and written dimensions?

    • Are there any other documents I need to submit? 

    14. Applicant details


    Check that your email address is right, as this is how we will usually contact you.

    15. Agent details


    Leave this blank if you're not using an agent.

    16. Site visit

    Confirm whether the site can be seen from a public road.

  • Ownership certificate

    A certificate confirming who owns the site. The certificate is included as a section of the application form.

    If you need to submit a Notice form, you can download these from the Further Guidance section below.

    What you need to do

    Why is it needed?

    Further guidance 

    Complete and submit either Certificate A, B, C or D with your application

    It's a national requirement to confirm site ownership and whether the owner is aware of the application.


    The Town and Country Planning (Development Management Procedure) (England) 2015 (as amended) (external website).

    An ‘owner’ is anyone with a freehold interest, mineral interest, or leasehold interest the unexpired term of which is not less than 7 years.


    An ‘agricultural tenant’ is a tenant of an agricultural holding, any part of which is comprised of the land to which the application relates.


    Download Notice 1 (external download) (PDF, 127kb)

    Download Notice 2 (external download) (PDF, 127kb)

    Make sure you:

    • complete the correct certificate and any submit necessary Notice Forms; there are four certificate types and two Notice types:

      • Certificate A - Sole ownership and no agricultural tenants
      • Certificate B - EITHER you're not the owner but know who is OR you are not the sole owner but you know who the other owners / agricultural tenants are; you need to also complete Notice 1
      • Certificate C - EITHER you're not the owner but you know some of the other owners / agricultural tenants OR you're an owner but only know some of the other owners / agricultural tenants; you need to also complete Notices 1 and 2
      • Certificate D - EITHER you're not the owner and do not know the owner(s) OR you're an owner but do not know any other owner(s) / agricultural tenant(s); you need to also complete Notice 2

    Make sure you don't:

    • complete or sign more than one Ownership Certificate
  • Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) Additional Questions Form

    The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) is a charge on development set by local authorities. The money it raises helps deliver the infrastructure needed to support development in their area.

    What you need to do

    Why is it needed?

    Further guidance 

    • complete an assessment of whether an application will be liable to pay CIL

    • provide the required additional information

    To make sure the right amount of CIL is paid.

    View more information on when CIL is required.


    Refer to the council's further guidance on what to submit (download) (PDF, 151kb).


    Refer to the Planning Portal (external website) for further guidance on what CIL forms to submit.

    Make sure you

  • Fee

    The fees are set by the government and must be paid for most application types. View the planning application types and fees webpage for clear guidance on what you need to pay. 

    What you need to do

    Why is it needed?

    Further guidance 

    Pay the correct fee for your application type.

    Planning fees are a national requirement set out in The Town and Country Planning (Fees for Applications, Deemed Applications, Requests and Site Visits) (England) Regulations 2012 (external website).

    View the list of planning fees in England (external download).


    Use a planning fee calculator (external website) if you're unsure about how much you need to pay.

    Make sure you:

  • Fire safety information

    What you need to do

    When is it needed?

    Why is it needed?

    Further guidance

    Show how the proposed development meets the highest fire safety standards as set out in the London Plan Policy D12.


    If the proposed works would not alter the fire safety of the building (see below), you must explain this in a Reasonable Exception Form.

    A Fire Safety Strategy or Reasonable Exception Statement must be submitted with all applications. This includes Listed Building Consent applications.


    Major and outline applications must be supported by a Fire Statement instead.


    Fire safety information is not required for Lawful Development Certificates and Prior Approval applications.

    To ensure the highest fire safety standards are met for all development in the borough.


    Relevant planning policy:

    • London Plan 2021 Policy D12 (A) and (B)

    Refer to further guidance by the Greater London Authority on the requirements of a fire safety strategy (external website)


    Download a Reasonable Exception Form template (docx, 18kb).

    Make sure you:

    • submit the Fire Safety Strategy as a stand alone document and ensure that it includes these details:
      • name and title of who wrote and approved the planning application's fire safety information, with a clear statement describing their competence, including relevant qualifications and experience
      • information under each part of London Plan Policy D12 (A); this should be specific and relevant to the proposed development
      • the relevant safety design codes and standards and how these ensure the proposed development achieves the highest standards of fire safety. This should be proportionate to the size and nature of the development 
    • submit a Reasonable Exception Form if the application:  
      • creates no additional dwellings or commercial units AND
      • does not provide a new lift AND
      • does not change external materials AND
      • does not change internal or external communal areas that support the evacuation strategy for the property


Page last updated: 21 November 2023


Privacy settings