Find out if you need planning permission

If you want to carry out works to your home, expand your business or change the use of your premises, you may need to apply for planning permission.

Use our free 'Find out if you need planning permission' web service

There are some types of work that you do not need to apply for planning permission to do. These works are called Permitted Development. The Planning Portal has information about what types of work are Permitted Development.

We offer a free online service to check whether your works will need planning permission. You simply need to enter the post code of the address where the works will take place, and answer some questions about what works you want to do. The service will tell you whether the works you want to do need planning permission and will advise you on what to do next.

Please note that the service information is provided for guidance only and does not represent a planning decision or legal advice. We always recommend applying for a Lawful Development Certificate before carrying out Permitted Development works to ensure that the works are lawful. 

Access the service 

Still not sure if you need planning permission?

Pre-application advice

We offer a pre-application advice service which you can use to get formal advice from us before you submit a planning application.

You can find out more about this service and see the service fees on our pre-application information page.

Lawful Development Certificates

If you want to be sure that the existing use of a building is lawful for planning purposes, or that your planned works does not require planning permission, then you can apply for a Lawful Development Certificate.

It is not compulsory to have an Lawful Development Certificate but there may be times when you need one to confirm that the use, operation or activity named in it is lawful for planning enforcement purposes. 

View more information about what you need to submit to support a Lawful Development Certificate or apply for a Lawful Development Certificate using our new online application service.

Independent planning advice

You can also get independent professional advice before making an application or carrying out any building works. Planning Aid (external website) provide independent planning advice for individuals and communities about planning issues

Find a registered architect

If you are thinking about carrying out works to your home or business and you need help finding an architect that can help you with your project, you can search the Architects Registration Board register (external website) for a qualified architect.

Page last updated: 11 October 2022

Privacy settings