Leader of the council and cabinet members
Cllr Johnson Situ
Cabinet Member for Climate Emergency, Planning & Transport
To lead the council’s work on tackling the Climate Emergency, continuing to improve the borough’s environment and our contribution to a greener city and a greener planet. To work with Cabinet Members across portfolios to champion sustainability and continue reducing the borough’s carbon emissions. Increase the use of green energy including with South East London Combined Heat and Power (SELCHP).
To deliver strategic growth and development plans for the borough which deliver new homes, jobs and infrastructure that benefits local communities. To facilitate suitable development in partnership with local residents and businesses, particularly in Opportunity Areas. Ensure that planning and development delivers not just new homes for local people, but also improves access to quality local services for Southwark residents. To lead on our consultation and engagement with the community around planning and strategic development, ensuring that their views shape every aspect of our work.
To lead on transport and travel strategy, including the delivery of strategic transport projects necessary for growth and development in the borough such as the Bakerloo line extension.
The cabinet member will have particular responsibility for:
- Reducing carbon emissions and promoting climate justice
- Green energy
- Ensuring development delivers for the whole community, including children and young people and black, Asian and minority ethnic communities
- Planning policy and performance
- Building control & cladding remediation
- Area Action Plans, including Old Kent Road and Canada Water (working with the Cabinet Member for Communities & Equalities)
- Increasing the supply of homes through planning and regeneration (working with the Cabinet Member for Council Housing)
- Increasing economic growth through planning and regeneration (working with the Cabinet Member for Finance, Jobs and Business)
- Major infrastructure projects, including the Bakerloo Line Extension
- Strategic Community Infrastructure Levy and Section 106 payments
- Transport & travel strategy (working with the Cabinet Member for Leisure, Environment & Roads)
- Public transport
- The river, flooding, flood defences, internal waterways, moorings, marinas & associated infrastructure
- Relationships with Transport for London & The Port of London Authority
Page last updated: 25 February 2021