Leader of the council and cabinet members
Cllr Stephanie Cryan
Cabinet Member for Jobs, Culture & Skills
To promote business growth and employment and lead on the council’s work to rebuild and renew Southwark’s local economy, including restoring employment levels. To lead on our work to support residents into jobs, apprenticeships and internships. To lead on support for local businesses, including the Green New Deal for Southwark. To work with local employers to improve working standards, pay and conditions. Working with the Cabinet Member for Children, Young People & Schools, lead the council’s work helping young people prepare for work, paid internships and the employment education and training guarantee. To lead the council’s drive to increase access to English, maths and digital skills training and supporting people to get back into work and progress into better quality jobs.
Oversee improvements to our town centres to make sure they are all vibrant places great to do business, work, socialise and live. Lead on the council’s work on improving our high streets, business space and new shops. Work with the Cabinet Member for Climate Emergency, Planning & Transport to ensure that Southwark’s employers and job-seekers get a good deal out of development.
To lead the council’s response to Brexit, ensuring that the council is prepared and able to continue to deliver its fairer future programme after Brexit. To work with the Cabinet Member for Communities & Equalities to support EU residents in Southwark with the effects of Brexit.
The cabinet member will have particular responsibility for:
- Increasing employment
- Town centres (working with the Cabinet Members for Climate Emergency, Planning & Transport and for Communities & Equalities)
- Culture, arts & events
- Creative and cultural district
- Cooperatives & mutuals
- Workspace & markets
- Promoting good employment practices and fair pay
- Promoting equality and diversity in the workplace and cultural and arts sectors
- Making Southwark a Living Wage Place
- Scholarships, apprenticeships, internships and work experience
- Further, adult and higher education for people aged 18 and over
- 18 year old and care leavers’ employment, education and training (working with the Cabinet member for Children, Young People and Schools)
- Supporting businesses to engage with schools and colleges (working with the Cabinet Member for Children, Young People & Schools)
- Walworth Town Hall
- Relationship with Jobcentre Plus
- Relationship with Southwark College
Page last updated: 28 September 2020