Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL)
Previous charging schedules
This chapter sets out submission of the previous charging schedules adopted in 2015 and 2017 with the supporting documents submitted for examination in public.
Please note the charging schedule is updated annually to reflect indexation and published as ‘Annual CIL Rate Summary’ in Chapter 3: Elements of CIL.
Under the 2019 CIL Regulations (CIL Regulations: Schedule 2), Regulation 123 was removed so a regulation 123 list, which is to set out a list of projects or types of infrastructure the local authority intends to fund, or may fund, through CIL, will be replaced by Infrastructure Funding Statements (IFS).
IFS will become the primary mechanism through which projects are identified for CIL funding. It will be published annually and provide a summary of all financial and non-financial developer contributions relating S106 and CIL within the borough. For further details, visit the Monitoring webpage.
First CIL charging schedule 2015
Following a public examination, Southwark’s CIL proposals and our charging schedule was first approved in March 2015 and came into effect on 1 April 2015. Southwark CIL therefore applies to CIL liable developments granted planning permission on or after this date.
Revised CIL charging schedule 2017 for Old Kent Road Opportunity Area
Since then, the Southwark CIL charging schedule has been revised to ensure that the council can secure sufficient funding for infrastructure to support growth in the Old Kent Road Opportunity Area, including the Bakerloo Line extension in the Old Kent Road area. The revision included amending the boundary between CIL zones 2 and 3 so that the whole of the Old Kent Road Opportunity Area falls within zone 2.
The revision includes amending the boundary between CIL zones 2 and 3 so that the whole of the Old Kent Road Opportunity Area falls within zone 2 and all residential development pays a rate of £218 per square metre; and increasing the existing CIL rates in line with the All-in-Tender Price Index, as provided for in the CIL Regulations.
We consulted on the revised Draft Charging Schedule and Regulation 123 List between 30 January and 13 March 2017.
We submitted the revised Draft Charging Schedule for examination on 25 May 2017 and appointed Terrence J Kemmann-Lane, JP DipTP FRTPI MCMI to undertake the examination. The examination hearing took place on 26 July. On 23 August the examiner submitted his report which you can view and download by clicking the link below. The council plans reported the Revised CIL Charging Schedule to cabinet on 31 October and to council assembly on 29 November.
Hence, the April 2015 charging schedule will cease to have effect after 30 November 2017.
You can view and download the draft revised charging schedule and the examination documents below:
- Southwark revised CIL Examination report 23 Aug 2017 (pdf, 329kb)
- council’s letter to examiner dated 3 July 2017 – definition of nomination - student housing (pdf, 36kb)
- council's opening statement (pdf, 53kb)
- council letter to the examiner dated 24 July 2017 (pdf, 26kb)
- Regulation 19 (1) (b) Statement of Consultation (May 2017) (pdf, 3.6mb)
- Statement of Consultation Appendix F - representations (pdf, 256kb)
- Draft CIL Charging Schedule - Regulation 19 (1) (c) representations (pdf, 12.4mb)
- Draft CIL Charging Schedule - Submission report (May 2017) (pdf, 2.2mb)
- Letter from examiner received 12 June 2017 (pdf, 20kb)
- council's response (pdf, 125kb)
- Infrastructure plan (May 2017) (pdf, 747kb)
- Draft Revised Charging Schedule (Jan 2017) (pdf, 738kb)
- Draft Regulation 123 List (pdf, 94kb)
- Background Paper (pdf, 734kb)
- Old Kent Road Viability Study (pdf, 4.7mb)
- Old Kent Road Viability Study Appendices (pdf, 3.1mb)
- Viability Study – “small site 5” base position (current adopted CIL rate) (pdf, 10kb)
- Viability Study – “small site 5” 2017 (proposed revised CIL rate) (pdf, 42kb)
- Presentation on Old Kent Road Viability data (pdf, 1.9mb)
- Consultation Plan (pdf, 447kb)
- Equalities Analysis (pdf, 326kb)
Page last updated: 14 December 2021