Planning FAQs

Submitting your application

Can I get advice before submitting my application?

Yes, we offer a pre-application advice service and a Planning Performance Agreement service. Find out more about our planning advice services

Who is consulted about a planning application?

We will write to statutory consultees and those living closest to the application site, and we will sometimes also put up a public notice close to the site. Anyone can comment on a planning application, whether or not they were contacted. View our Statement of Community Involvement for more details on how we consult on planning applications.

How long will it take to get a decision on my application?

Most planning applications are decided within 8 weeks. Larger and more complex applications can take up to 13 weeks. Any time extensions must be agreed in writing between the case officer and the applicant.

What is considered by a case officer when they are looking at my planning application?

When looking at a planning application, a case officer will assess how the development complies with national policy, regional policy, and the local development plan. They will also look at other material planning considerations relevant to the site and development proposal, for example, good design and impact on neighbours. More information on this process can be found in the Government guidance on how planning applications are assessed.

Can I speak to my case officer?

Yes, when a case officer has been assigned to your application you will be able to contact them by phone or email. You will be sent these contact details by email as soon as they are assigned to your case.

How can I check the status of my application?

Your application passes through three stages: registration, validation and determination. If your application fails either registration or validation, then we will contact you with instructions to resolve this. Once your application has been validated, you can see the status of your application on the Planning Register or can contact your case officer for an update.  

What should I do if I have completed works without planning permission?

If you have made a change to your property that requires planning permission and you have not had approval, then you should make a retrospective application. This does not mean that we will automatically grant planning permission, and the application will be assessed in the usual way.

Page last updated: 18 July 2024


Privacy settings