Find out if you need planning permission

Planning permission in other cases

Work on a listed building

Listed building consent is required for all works to demolish, alter or extend a listed building. These works will also likely require planning permission. Listed building consent is also required for internal works and repairs if they affect the character and/or significance of the building.

There is no fee for listed building consent. Our design and conservation team is able to advise further as to whether listed building consent is required for proposed works, and can provide pre-application advice on your proposals. Further advice can be found on the Planning Portal (external download) and Southwark's guidance on trees.

Work within a conservation area

You will need to apply for permission if you wish to demolish a building, or part of a building within a conservation area. Find out more about conservation areas.

Work on a protected tree or trees within a conservation area

Trees are normally protected in one of two ways, either by Tree Preservation Order or if the trees themselves stand within a designated Conservation Area. An application or notification will need to be given for most works to either types of these trees. Refer to the Planning Portal's advice on trees and hedges (external website).

The display of advertisements

Some forms of advertisement benefit from something called 'deemed consent' and can be put up without approval from us. The government's free booklet, Outdoor advertisements and signs: a guide for advertisers (external website) contains useful advice. Please note that it is a criminal offence to display an advert that requires our consent without first getting that consent.

Page last updated: 12 August 2022

Privacy settings