Street furniture licence

In certain locations we can allow street furniture outside premises to advertise goods. In many locations, there's inadequate footway space to allow a shop front licence. As a general rule, 1.5 metres of clear footway must be available for people to pass without obstruction. In busy areas this may differ. 

If you wish to have street furniture outside your premises, you must apply for a licence under the Highway Act 1980.

Applying for a licence

You can apply for a street furniture licence by downloading an application form (pdf, 99kb). We advise you to read the guidance notes attached to the form before applying.

Before starting the application, make sure you have the following documents available:

  • a copy of your public liability insurance
  • company bank details and VAT number on letter headed paper (necessary to set your company up on our systems and to pay back any deposits or refunds on your account)

Please allow approximately five weeks for your Highways Licence application to be processed.


  • standard licence fee: 2 square metres and under, £214 per annum
  • additional square meterage fee: £85.60 per square metre (for each metre over 2msq)

All payments must be made by the applicant. Once the application has been reviewed, you'll be contacted with confirmation of the required fees. You can then pay online or by telephone.

Legislation and conditions

Licenses are issued under the Highways Act 1980. Each permit has standard terms and conditions, although other conditions may be added. We will inspect your site on a regular basis. Your licensed activity must meet our terms and conditions. The terms and conditions must be agreed during your application.

If you have any queries or concerns or require further information, contact us.


Page last updated: 04 April 2019