Get election ready

The UK General Election is on 4 July. 
Register to vote by 18 June.
If you need to vote by post, you must apply to do this by 5pm on 19 June.
You need valid photo ID to vote in person. If you don’t have valid ID, apply by 5pm on 26 June for a Voter Authority Certificate.  
Find out more about voting and elections in Southwark

Street furniture licence

In certain locations, we can allow street furniture (such as tables and chairs, barriers, shop front displays, advertising boards, benches or planters) outside premises to advertise goods. In many locations, there is not enough space to allow a shop front licence. As a general rule, 1.5 metres of clear footway must be available for people to pass without obstruction. In busy areas, this may differ. 

If you wish to have street furniture outside your premises, you must apply for a licence under the Highway Act 1980.

Applying for a licence

You can apply for a street furniture licence by downloading an application form (PDF, 1.6mb). We advise you to read the guidance notes attached to the form before applying.

This process takes 28 days plus processing time. For a fast track (10 day) application, please apply for a pavement licence

Before starting the application, make sure you have the following documents available:

  • a copy of your public liability insurance
  • company bank details and VAT number on letter headed paper (necessary to set your company up on our systems and to pay back any deposits or refunds on your account)

Please allow approximately five weeks for your licence application to be processed.


  • the standard licence fee is £263.30 for up to 2 square metres
  • any additional meterage is £106.70 per square metre

All payments must be made by the applicant. Once the application has been reviewed, you'll be contacted with confirmation of the required fees. You can then pay online or by telephone.

Check the full list of Highways licensing fees and charges. If you cancel a licence there is a Cancellation Fee, which is 30% of the licence fee.

Legislation and conditions

Licenses are issued under the Highways Act 1980. Each permit has standard terms and conditions, although other conditions may be added. We'll inspect your site on a regular basis. Your licensed activity must meet our terms and conditions. The terms and conditions must be agreed during your application.

If you have any queries or concerns or require further information, email

Page last updated: 09 April 2024


Privacy settings