Skip licence

If a skip needs to be placed on the public highway, a licence is required under Section 139 of the Highways Act 1980.  

Only skip companies registered on our approved vendor list can be used. We're unable to make recommendations, but you can view a list of registered approved skip companies (PDF, 236kb) on our skip register.

You must contact a skip company registered on our approved skip companies list and they'll apply for the necessary licence. Each licence is valid for a period of one month.

If you're unsure if the location is private or public, contact your preferred skip provider to find out if a licence is required.

Applying for a licence

Applications must be received at least 7 days before the skip is due to be delivered to site.

Skip companies

If you're a skip company already registered with us and wish to apply for a licence, you can apply by downloading an application form (PDF, 144kb) along with the guidance notes.

If your skip company isn't registered with us, you can download our skip license vendor application pack (PDF, 443kb) or email

Parking suspensions

If you wish to place a skip in a restricted parking bay, you must apply for a parking suspension.


A skip licence costs £93.60 per month.


We'll inspect your skip on a regular basis. Your licensed activity must meet our terms and conditions. 

If you have any questions or need more information, email

Page last updated: 20 April 2023


Privacy settings