Business networks and BIDs
Business Improvement Districts (BIDs)
Business improvement districts (BIDs) allow businesses in a specific area to develop unique area of improvement plans. These plans are funded and put into action by raising a levy from the businesses within the improvement district. Southwark is home to some of the oldest and most established BIDs in the country.
The benefits of having a BID in your area include:
- physical improvements, such as lighting, graffiti removal, greening and cleaning projects
- extra security measures for streets and businesses, such as warden schemes
- improving open spaces for employees and visitors
- marketing promotions through increased local networking and business-to-business opportunities
- public events and expansion of tourism
- improving staff retention and recruitment
- increasing access through improved transport and parking arrangements
These services and improvements are offered in addition to services the local authority provides. The focus of each BID is driven by the businesses within their area.
There are five BIDs in Southwark:
Permanent closure of Camberwell Green Magistrate’s Court
From February 2020 onwards, Southwark Council liability order hearings for BID levies will take place at Croydon Magistrates Court, Barclay Road, Croydon, CR9 3NG.
Page last updated: 20 November 2023