Borough, Bankside and Bermondsey
Keppel Row and America Street environmental improvements
We're working with Better Bankside and local businesses to improve the environment and public realm in Bankside. In 2014 we secured funding to clean and upgrade the railway tunnel on Great Guildford Street. We also installed Yorkstone paving and three planters on Wardens Grove. We're now sending out an update on two new projects on Keppel Row and America Street.
On Keppel Row, we've secured a small pot of funding from the developer of 61 Southwark Street to improve the historic alleyway. We've completed an initial design exercise and would like to hear your thoughts on the suggested improvements, which are summarised in the attached plan and include:
- a new lighting "catenary" scheme along the alleyway which will be attached to the buildings either side of the alley; please note the lights will be directed downwards and will not illuminate into any residential windows
- a new "resin-bound gravel" surface treatment to improve the appearance of the walkway; please note paving cannot be installed as there are so many low levels services and basements
- new planters with planting kindly maintained by Better Bankside working with local volunteers; if you're interested in volunteering to help us to look after these new plants, contact us
- the two historic "Clink bollards" will be refurbished and restored to their original condition
- small artworks to celebrate the history of the historic alleyway, including a small Keppel figurine attached to the London Councils building at 59 1/2 Southwark Street
We're also working with the managers of 59 1/2 Southwark Street to install a new green roof.
On America Street, we've been working with the businesses along the street to investigate potential measures to improve the air quality of the street. To test how this can be done, we've developed the "Metal Box Garden" concept and will trial the installation of two temporary skip gardens on the street. The two skips have been painted and are currently being planted in the car park behind the Crossbones Graveyard on Southwark Street. The two temporary gardens will be installed on the week commencing 18 September and we'd love to hear your feedback.
Why not join us to find out more
We're excited to hear your views on this draft proposal (PDF, 877kb) and have organised a consultation event where you can come and meet the partners and the design team to discuss the project. The event will take place on the street at America Street by the Metal Box Garden on Wednesday 11 October from 6:30 to 7:30pm. If you cannot make the event, we'd like to hear your comments about the proposal.
You can contact us in the following ways:
- call us on 020 75255450
- email Dan Taylor
- write to us at Chief Executive's Department, Southwark Council,160 Tooley Street London, SE1 2QH
For any queries for Better Bankside, in particular the trial Metal Box Garden, email Valerie Beirne or phone 020 7928 3998.
We'd be grateful if you could contact us by 20 October. Subject to consultation and council approval processes, we'd look to construct the works over a 3 month period during early 2018.
Page last updated: 09 May 2023