General advice and help

If you're considering carrying out building works, you must ensure the work complies with the London Building Acts Amendment Act 1939, the Building Act 1984 and the Building Regulations. 

You may also need to notify the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). Their website provides information about your duties under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015.

Do I need building regulations approval?

The government offers advice on if you need building regulations approval.

If you need help

We can offer you guidance and advice on:

  • whether you need building control consent
  • what additional information you need to give us
  • what application forms you need to fill in
  • what charges you'll need to pay

Whether or not you appoint your own agent, architect, engineer or surveyor, we'll offer guidance and advice on your project. We cannot act as your consultant, but can often make useful suggestions to help you with your project. You can email us if you'd like to request the service.

Although Southwark building control will notify you or your representative on aspects of your application, it's advisable that you liaise on a regular basis with your representative to ensure you understand the overall position of your application.

If your building work is defined as requiring an individual determined charge, complete the building control quotation request online form and read all the guidance associated with the form.

Beware of rogue traders

Unfortunately, it's all too easy to fall foul of rogue traders when getting work done on your home.

Citizens Advice has published guidance that should help you save time, money and stress and ensure you choose a reputable and reliable trader.

By following a few basic ground rules you can prevent yourself from becoming a victim. For example:

  • never pay large sums of money upfront before works starts
  • avoid anyone who asks for large cash deposits
  • make sure you have a written contract with agreed timescales and costs
  • for larger projects, have an agreed schedule of staged payments following completion of different phases

Read the Citizens Advice guidance.

Page last updated: 01 March 2023


Privacy settings