Applications and charges
Full plans application
A Full Plans application may be submitted for any building work but must be submitted for large buildings, schools, shops, offices, railway premises, factories and hotels. Unless you have a thorough knowledge of the regulations and building construction in general, it's advisable to seek professional assistance.
A full plans application is broken into a plan assessment stage and a site inspection stage.
- Complete the full plans application form and submit detailed plans or drawings before work commences.
- A plan checking officer will then check your plans or drawings to make sure that they comply with the building regulations.
- We may need to write to you to ensure compliance, before issuing an approval notice.
- A building control officer visits the building works site at regular intervals to make sure that the work in progress conforms with the building regulations.
- It is important to note that your building works must reflect the plans that have been approved by your plan checking officer in the plan assessment stage.
- After work has started and a first inspection has been undertaken you will be invoiced for the building control inspection charge.
- Once your plans and the final inspection prove that you have complied with the building regulations, Southwark building control will issue you with a completion certificate.
Page last updated: 21 June 2022