Why foster for Southwark
Find out more about the high-quality support our foster carers receive and make an initial enquiry.
Training and support for Southwark Council foster carers
Our foster carers benefit from:
- an excellent training programme including a three-day ‘Skills to foster’ course and ongoing training throughout the year
- a dedicated social worker who will visit regularly and provide practical support
- access to specialist health, educational and therapeutic support for the child(ren) that you foster
- membership to The Fostering Network for additional advice, information and support
- a ticket to the annual foster carers summer picnic and dinner and dance
- the opportunity to join foster care support groups
- access to the wellbeing walking and yoga groups
- round-the-clock telephone support
Financial support for carers
You get an allowance for each child you care for. We provide a competitive allowance and a generous setting-up grant to help prepare the foster child’s bedroom. Our allowance is linked to training and experience, therefore the more training you complete the higher the allowance you'll receive.
Also, Southwark foster carers living in Southwark can claim 100% council tax relief.
Who we're looking for
We’re looking for foster carers who have a spare room and who live in, or close to Southwark.
Register your interest now
If you’re interested in finding out more, complete our quick enquiry form so that one of our team can get in touch with you.
You can also come along to one of our information sessions where you can talk to someone already fostering with us and to an experienced social worker.
Page last updated: 14 May 2019