Why foster for Southwark
Find out more about the high-quality support our foster carers receive and make an initial enquiry.
"I have been a foster carer for over a year now and find it the most rewarding job I have ever done. Children deserve someone to love and appreciate them. I have felt very honoured to be that person to a few young people already."
Alex, Foster Carer
Training and support for foster carers
Why foster for us
- as a local authority, we're a not-for-profit fostering team
- our fostering service works alongside the social workers who are responsible for the children
- we'll always contact our foster carers first - so you will always be a foster carer
- we'll match you (if we can) with your preferred age range
- our children live and attend school within the borough so you will help them remain in their community
Benefits of being a foster carer
- an excellent training programme including a three-day ‘Skills to foster’ course during your assessment
- ongoing training throughout your time as a foster carer
- access to training within the London Partners for Permanency Consortium
- a dedicated social worker who will visit regularly and provide practical support
- access to specialist health, educational and therapeutic support for the child(ren) that you foster
- membership to The Fostering Network for additional advice, information and support
- foster carers picnics, balls, and other social events
- the opportunity to join foster care support groups and coffee mornings
- access to well-being groups
- round-the-clock telephone support
Financial support for carers
You'll receive an allowance for each child you care for. We provide a competitive allowance and a generous setting-up grant to help prepare the foster child’s bedroom. Our allowance is linked to training and experience - the more training you complete, the higher the allowance you'll receive.
Southwark foster carers can claim 100% council tax relief.
Who we're looking for
We’re looking for foster carers who have a spare room and who live in or close to Southwark.
Register your interest now
If you’re interested in finding out more, complete our quick enquiry form so that one of our team can get in touch with you.
You can also come along to one of our information sessions where you can talk to someone already fostering with us and to an experienced social worker.
Page last updated: 27 September 2023