Trading Standards priorities
Southwark's Trading Standards service is responsible for protecting consumers and businesses by ensuring a fair and safe trading environment. We want to support a vibrant prosperous Southwark where legitimate enterprise can thrive and consumers can have confidence in the goods and services they buy.
We are part of the council's regulatory services, which encompasses a wide range of public and environmental protection functions, all working towards Southwark's Fairer, Greener, Safer priorities and commitments. These are set out in the council's delivery plan.
Our work contributes to themes within the plan including a thriving and inclusive economy, a healthy environment, quality, affordable homes and keeping you safe.
Our priorities are:
- doorstep crime, scams and unfair trading - protecting vulnerable consumers from the fraudulent and financially abusive activities of rogue traders
- illegal economy - combatting the trade-in of unsafe, illicit and counterfeit products
- age restricted products - protecting the health and wellbeing of young people by ensuring underage children are not sold age-restricted goods and services
- rented housing - working with regulatory partners to combat rogue landlords and letting agents
Other areas of work include:
- providing compliance advice to businesses in the borough
- enforcement of weights and measures law and animal feed standards legislation
- responsible authority functions under the Licensing Act 2003
- undertaking financial investigations and pursuing confiscation orders under the Proceeds of Crime Act
Page last updated: 16 May 2023