About the Health and Safety team
Our Health and Safety team have a range of responsibilities including:
- carrying out risk-assessed inspections of relevant workplaces, in the local authority enforced sector
- investigating accidents reported to the local authority under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR)
- investigating complaints regarding workplaces
- carrying out campaigns and initiatives to raise awareness of health and safety issues
- advising and guiding businesses on health and safety issues
- enforcing Sunday trading legislation
- the registration of cooling towers and evaporative condensers
- working with other health professionals locally and nationally
Health and safety inspectors
Our team aims to ensure businesses have sufficient information in a format that's accessible and relevant. This enables businesses to better protect the health, safety and welfare of their workplace and employees.
You can find further information in a downloadable guide available on the HSE website, which includes:
- what a business owner can expect when a health and safety inspector calls at their workplace
- what information employees and their representatives can expect during an inspector's visit
Help with health and safety compliance
Our team provides free advice and guidance to businesses and individuals on their duties. You can contact us by email with any questions.
You can obtain basic free advice on health and safety by visiting the HSE website.
The HSE website is a comprehensive source of information which is regularly updated. You can keep in touch with current campaigns and events, subscribe to free email news, updates, RSS feeds and podcasts by selecting the 'news' tab on the HSE home page.
Our team currently doesn't provide training, however the professional institutes and bodies below provide and endorse health and safety training nationally.
- The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (CIEH)
- The Institute of Occupational Safety & Health (IOSH)
- National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH)
Page last updated: 15 October 2018