Applications and charges

There are different types of building control consent applications depending on the nature of your project.

Building notice application

Building notice applications are usually used for smaller, straightforward domestic building works such as extensions or alterations. Details of the building works should be submitted to the building control team.

Make an application

This type of application can't be used in connection with schools, offices, shops or workplaces

A building control officer visits the building works site at regular intervals to make sure that work in progress conforms to the building regulations.

You must notify us at least two working days before work commences on site.

The advantage of a building notice application is the speed with which the work can progress, but there is less certainty that the work complies with the building regulations and no formal notice of approval will be issued. If the work carried out does not comply with the building regulations this may incur problems, delays or costly remedial works.

A full plans application may be submitted for any building work but must be submitted for large buildings, schools, shops, offices, railway premises, factories and hotels. Unless you have a thorough knowledge of the regulations and building construction in general, it is advisable to seek professional assistance.

Page last updated: 02 March 2017