Applications and charges
Section 80 and 81 of the Building Act 1984 requires that any person intending to carry out demolition works in the borough must give notice to Southwark building control.
The demolition contractor should submit a written demolition notice to the building control team before demolition works are to commence.
The demolition notice must clearly state the following:
- the location address of the building to be demolished set out on an OS Map
- a description of the nature of the works that are to be carried out
- the contact details of the demolition contractor if the demolition contractor does not serve the demolition notice
- that the demolition notice has also been served to any adjacent landowners
- that the demolition notice has also been served to the appropriate gas and electricity companies
No demolition work can be carried out until we have issued a counter notice that outlines the conditions that you must comply with when carrying out the demolition works. This process can take up to six weeks.
A building control officer will also need to visit the demolition site on occasions to ensure that the conditions of the counter notice, once issued, are being complied with.
Under Section 10(3) of the London Local Authorities Act 2004, we entitled to recover any expenses reasonably incurred under Section 81 of the Building Act 1984.
The current fee for a demolition application is £450.
Page last updated: 02 March 2017