Leader of the council and cabinet members
Councillor Peter John has been the Leader of Southwark council since May 2010. He was first elected to the council in 2002 and has been the Leader of Southwark Labour Group since 2004.
As Council Leader, Peter has taken a particular interest in housing and regeneration. He's overseen the council’s £326 million Warm, Dry and Safe investment programme and the response to the report of the independent housing commission chaired by Jan Luba QC. Peter is committed to the major regeneration projects taking place across the borough, and in particular the major multi-billion council sponsored projects at the Elephant and Castle and the Aylesbury.
As a member of London Councils Executive and the London Enterprise Panel, Peter is committed to helping deliver an agenda of creating jobs and growth across London.
Peter chairs the Southwark Health and Wellbeing Board and is Vice Chair of a local charity. He worked full-time as a barrister until 2010.
Southwark is now recognised as one of London’s leading local authorities, providing innovative solutions in challenging economic times.
Cabinet members portfolios
- Councillor Stephanie Cryan - Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Housing
- Councillor Maisie Anderson - Cabinet Member for Public Health and Social Regeneration
- Councillor Fiona Colley - Cabinet Member for Finance, Modernisation and Performance
- Councillor Barrie Hargrove - Cabinet Member for Communities, Safety and Leisure
- Councillor Richard Livingstone - Cabinet Member for Adult Care and Financial Inclusion
- Councillor Victoria Mills - Cabinet Member for Children and Schools
- Councillor Johnson Situ - Cabinet Member for Business, Culture and Social Regeneration
- Councillor Mark Williams - Cabinet Member for Regeneration and New Homes
- Councillor Ian Wingfield - Cabinet Member for Environment and Public Realm
Page last updated: 03 January 2018