Welcome: Start your digital journey
Our internet skills pages will give you information and advice to help you use the internet confidently.
The world is changing and the internet is becoming the main way of carrying out so many everyday activities, from speaking to friends to booking activities. It will also provide many of the jobs of the future. It's essential that no resident is left behind by changes in technology.
The digital inclusion team is here to help. We can answer your questions and provide any support you might need. You can phone our helpline on 07783776066 or email us.
There are lots of ways to get involved in making Southwark a digital borough. We encourage residents to become volunteer digital champions for their local area (see below) and support Tenant and Resident Associations (TRAs) who want to offer digital support sessions. Southwark's resident participation team work closely with TRAs and they can signpost you to those who provide digital training on Southwark estates. If you are a Southwark Council resident, see our getting involved page for more information.
Find specific internet skills information on our pages below:
- test your internet skills - assess the current level of your digital skills with our easy to read guide and take our essential digital skills survey
- find local training - from formal training to drop-ins; find the course which suits you, from our list of Southwark colleges and organisations
- train online - learn all about the internet with our free basic skills guide, which includes video support; find out about other online learning resources
- join our digital champions - find out about Southwark’s digital champions network and how you can get involved in helping other residents
- stay safe online - if you're concerned about internet safety, our guidelines will help you stay safe online; there's also specialist advice concerning other issues such as protection from online domestic abuse and bullying
- read out digital inclusion strategy - find out about the local and national organisations we are working with to improve Southwark's digital offer
Buying internet access can be confusing and in some cases there are free alternatives available. You can find out more in our digital skills guide and on the Broadband Savvy website. Southwark Council is also helping through its better broadband scheme, which is rolling out broadband across the borough.
Page last updated: 12 January 2023