Free school meals during term time
Check your eligibility and apply for free school meals for your child
Is my child eligible for free school meals?
If you get particular benefits, your child/children may be entitled to get government funded free school meals. Find out from the government who is eligible for free school meals.
How to apply for free school meals
- if your child is eligible for free school meals, contact your child’s school and ask for a free school meal application form (it may be called a Pupil Premium application form)
- fill out the form and return it to the school; the school will then send it to us for eligibility checking
- we’ll tell the school if your child is eligible and they will start to get free meals
Do I need to apply for benefits related free school meals if my child is already receiving a meal at school?
It's very important that you register for free school meals if you think your child may be eligible. Your child’s school will get additional government funding for each eligible child via the Pupil Premium. The school will use this extra funding to help pupils to make the best possible progress. It also provides additional resources and educational experiences that eligible pupils may not otherwise have access to.
How will the school use the extra Pupil Premium money?
Each school may use the funding slightly differently and will publish what they do on their website. Some examples of how Southwark schools use the money include:
- staffing for additional or specialist intervention in reading, writing and maths
- small group tuition for catch-up
- speech and language therapy
- a wider range of extra-curricular activities and trips
- homework and after-school activities and clubs
- subsidising the cost of school trips or uniform
Page last updated: 05 December 2023