Elective home education

Education Health Care Plan (EHCP)

A parent's right to educate their child at home applies equally where a child has Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND). Where a child has an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) previously known as a Statement of Special Educational Needs) and is educated at home, the parent must make arrangements to meet the child's needs. Where the parent wishes to withdraw an SEND child from a school, the school must obtain the consent of the local authority before the child's name can be removed from the school's roll.

Where the child has an EHCP, the local authority will continue to maintain and review this annually. Rights of appeal to the SEND tribunal still apply.

If you wish to discuss any aspect of education at home or have any issues or concerns, call 020 7525 5768 or email electivehomeeducation@southwark.gov.uk.

Page last updated: 07 February 2024


Privacy settings