Camberwell Station Road
Southwark Council recognises that many people with a connection to Camberwell, whether they live, work or visit the area, enjoy the fantastic things it has to offer. We also recognise that there is room for improvement.
What we're working on
Over the past couple of years we've been speaking with and listening to hundreds of local people who came up with lots of great ideas to improve Camberwell.
As part of this, we looked at ways of unlocking the potential of neglected areas in Camberwell, like along Camberwell Station Road, including:
- how to make the road more inviting and make people feel safe and welcome
- the road is currently very wide and does not encourage pedestrian travel. Instead, the road can be difficult to navigate and is dominated by buses, cars and vans
- how to encourage more local businesses and jobs to move into the area; this will help to activate “dead frontages” (boarded up, shuttered, derelict or empty ground floor premises) by working with landlords to secure tenants
- through this opening up the businesses to the road, generating activity and supporting jobs
- how to provide pleasant spaces to relax so people can connect with others and create a stronger sense of community
- how to improve air quality and public health in the vicinity
- this includes providing opportunities for electric vehicle charging and encouraging people to walk or cycle along the road
- how to make the road greener
- this includes supporting existing mature trees, introducing new planting and supporting biodiversity
- how to capture the area’s character with its rich history and heritage
- this helps to engender a stronger sense of pride
- how people move through the area, not just now but in the future
- for example, there's strong local support for the Camberwell railway station to reopen, and people will need to be able walk from the high street to the station without having to walk a long way around
- designs being developed now must address this
In spring 2021 we worked in partnership with local residents from the SE5 Forum and Camberwell Society, and the GLA to choose designers. We were delighted to appoint JA Projects who have been working closely with residents and key partners ever since.
We have looked at the entire length of the road and its different uses, from living and working on, to travelling through. We have been on lots of walkabouts, knocked on every door along the road, and have met online and in person with local residents and businesses. We listened closely and then mapped out the following issues and opportunities.
- 211115_Presentation Individual Pages-8 (pdf, 594kb)
- 211115_Presentation Individual Pages-9 (pdf, 578kb)
- 211115_Presentation Individual Pages-10 (pdf, 557kb)
- 211115_Presentation Individual Pages-11 (pdf, 495kb)
- 211115_Presentation Individual Pages-12 (pdf, 363kb)
- 211115_Presentation Individual Pages-15 (pdf, 104kb)
We pulled all this information together and have identified three key themes (pdf, 104kb):
- a street for all
- connecting Camberwell Station Road
- making good impressions
On Saturday 4 December 2021, local people were invited to join a walking tour, led by students from Sacred Hearts School. We worked with students and Southwark Young Advisors who prepared an inspirational tour sharing the issues and articulating the vision for the road beautifully. They covered four themes:
- green spaces
- an inclusive and diverse street
- Camberwell station
- mechanics and industry
A huge thank you to such a talented group of students. We are looking forward taking them back to the road when works are in progress.
After the walking tour we shared these initial concept designs for feedback.
We received some really useful comments and suggestions which will support us in developing these designs in detail. We're still keen to hear from you. You can contact us via the email address below to give us your views before the end of February 2022. We're paying close attention to every detail to make sure that we get the designs right so thank you for taking the time to respond.
In 2019 the following concept designs were developed by working in partnership with local residents, businesses and land owners:
- Camberwell Station Road (pdf, 910kb)
These concept designs formed part of a funding bid which resulted in Camberwell being awarded £1.5m by the GLA's Good Growth Fund. This was the third largest allocation in London! Of this £1.5m, almost £1m has been allocated to spend on Camberwell Station Road in order to develop designs further and to undertake works.
Some of the consultation information we've used during this project included:
- presentation to multi-ward forum made on 4 March 2020 (pdf, 2mb)
- consultation boards from February 2019 (pdf, 4.7mb)
- consultation boards from July 2019 (pdf, 80.2mb)
A huge thank you!
We are so grateful to everybody who has and who are sharing their views with us. There's a wealth of precious local knowledge and valuable expertise in the area which is pivotal to us getting this right. THANK YOU!
- from now until the end of February 2022 - residents, businesses and landowners will feed into the design process
- March 2022 -seeking statutory permissions for works
- November 2022 - anticipated works on site.
- March 2023 - project complete
If you have any queries or feedback in relation to Camberwell Station Road only, or if you wish to be included in future consultations, email CSR@southwark.gov.uk.
For all other queries relating to area improvements, email Regen.Info@southwark.gov.uk.
Page last updated: 01 February 2022