Get election ready

The UK General Election is on 4 July.
You need valid photo ID to vote in person. Check your ID now.
If you don’t have valid ID, apply by 5pm on 26 June for a Voter Authority Certificate.  
Find out more about voting and elections in Southwark

When someone dies

When someone who pays Council Tax dies, we'll need some details about the person who has died and the property they were living in.

Southwark’s Bereavement Support Service can help you by telling a number of different government departments and organisations about the death.

Find out how Southwark's Bereavement Support Service can help you.

You’ll need to tell us:

  • when probate (the right to deal with the estate) is granted
  • if the property is sold
  • if the tenancy ends
  • if someone moves in
  • if someone inherits the property

If someone still lives in the property

We'll need to know about the death so we can change the name on the Council Tax bill and make sure that we charge the right amount.

Tell us that someone who lives with you has died

If the property is empty

It will be exempt from Council Tax until:

  • the tenancy ends
  • it’s sold
  • someone new moves in
  • probate is granted

Apply for a Council Tax exemption for an empty property

Once probate has been granted, if the property remains empty and hasn’t been sold, it may be exempt from Council Tax for a further 6 months. If the property is still empty or unsold after the 6 months you'll have to pay the full Council Tax charge.

Tell us that probate has been granted

If the property is left to someone else in the will of the person who has died

Once the property has been legally transferred to another person, that new owner becomes responsible for the Council Tax bill.

Page last updated: 08 November 2021


Privacy settings