Bereavement support service
We recognise that in addition to coping with bereavement, you'll also be faced with making many arrangements and notifying a large number of organisations. This can be confusing and distressing as you'll most likely have to notify different organisations with the same information.
How we can help
The Bereavement Support Service can assist you in a number of ways, including:
- notifying Southwark Council local and central government departments about the death
- providing you with information and advice about a range of services (who else you need to inform, probate, counselling and other support services)
- assisting you in accessing additional benefits and money to which you may be entitled
During the registration process
- a registrar will explain the Tell Us Once service when you register the death. They will give you a unique reference number so you can use the service yourself online or by phone
- the registrar will give you a number to call. This includes a video relay service for British Sign Language (BSL) users and Relay UK if you cannot hear or speak on the phone
- you must use the service within 84 days of getting your unique reference
- if the death has been referred to the coroner and you have been issued with a coroner's interim death certificate you are still able to use this service. Please call us on 0207 525 7270
- if the death of a resident of England/ Wales took place within the EU/EEA or a Commonwealth country the Tell Us Once service can also be used. If you wish to use the service you must provide us with a copy of the overseas death certificate and proof of the deceased UK address
For further information can be found on the government website.
Page last updated: 16 February 2023