Improvements to our website

We have made changes to our website to improve the way it looks and to give residents a better experience. You can find out more about this update here. 

Making a referral

School - Maintained Primary and Trading Academy or Free School

How do I make a referral?

To make a referral, complete the Family Early Help referral form with the family and email us your completed form. Please include as much information as possible, including the details of who lives with the child or young person, what you're worried about and the details of other professionals involved with the family.

Do I need consent?

Consent should be sought from the parent or carer for all referrals. This should include talking about your worries with them in advance and being clear about the service Family Early Help provides. If you're requesting statutory intervention for persistent non-attendance, consent is not required. However, your concerns should still be discussed with the family, including the possible outcomes of such a referral.

What are the criteria for making a referral to Family Early Help?



Family Early Help ‘Whole Family’ Intervention

  • A family with a child or young person who is at risk of permanent exclusion,


  • A family with a child or young person whose attendance is below 90% across one term OR meets at least 3 of the following criteria:

  1. Parents and children involved in crime or anti-social behaviour

  2. Children who have not been attending school regularly

  3. Children who need help

  4. Adults out of work or at risk of financial exclusion or young people at risk of worklessness

  5. Families affected by domestic violence and abuse

  6. Parents and children with a range of health problems

Education Inclusion Team

  • All permanently excluded children and young people

  • Children and young people at risk of permanent exclusion

  • All children and young people with persistent non-attendance

  • Schools seeking managed moves to prevent permanent exclusion

  • Children and young people missing education


  • Any parent or carer with a child or young person under 18 who needs targeted help in managing a child or young person’s behaviour

Early Help CAMHS

  • A family with a child or young person with mild to moderate mental health difficulties

  • Children and young people must have a Southwark GP, a Southwark School or a Southwark Address. 

Who can I talk to about a family?

If you're unsure whether a family is suitable for Family Early Help, contact the Family Early Help duty manager on 020 7525 1922 for advice and guidance.

Please note that if you have immediate safeguarding concerns regarding a child or young person, complete the Southwark Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) referral form and email it to MASH or phone 0207 525 1921

What happens next?

Once received, your referral will be discussed at the weekly Family Early Help allocations meeting. You will be informed of the decision agreed at the meeting, including which services have been allocated to the family. If the referral is not accepted, you will be informed of the reason why and if any alternative services have been recommended.

Page last updated: 12 January 2023


Privacy settings