Business and compliance advice
We can advise you on any of the areas we regulate. You can find a range of Business and compliance advice on the trading standards requirements to help your business get off to a great start.
We can help and advise you on any of the areas we regulate. When you contact us, you'll need to provide:
- the address where your business is based
- your contact number and email address
- your preferred method of contact
If your business operates across local or regional boundaries, you may wish to consider entering into a primary authority relationship with us.
You can find a list of guides to download to help your business understand and comply with our trading standards requirements.
Where you need advice that's tailored to your particular needs and circumstances, we will:
- explain what's required to achieve compliance
- provide reliable advice that supports compliance
- provide clear advice that can be easily understood and implemented
- explain the differences between legal requirements and suggested good practice
- ensure that any verbal advice you receive is confirmed in writing if requested
- acknowledge good practice and compliance
Other sources of advice
National sources of regulatory information include:
- GOV.UK - free business advice and support on many subjects
- BEIS - the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy
- Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) - regulates the financial services and consumer credit industry, and authorises firms to undertake credit-related activity and enforce consumer credit law
- Competition and Markets Authority - a new authority that brings together the competition commission with certain functions of the now abolished Office of Fair Trading; range of new responsibilities and powers to ensure markets work well for consumers, businesses and the economy
- Southwark Business section - for general business start-up and support advice and links to local business groups
Page last updated: 20 July 2022