Tower cranes licence

In order to allow Tower Cranes to oversail the public highway during development works, you are required to gain an oversail licence issued under Section 178 of the Highways Act 1980.

You must have planning permission for the related development before a licence can be granted.

Applying for a licence

You can apply for a tower crane licence by downloading an application form (pdf, 31kb)

We recommend applying for the licence a minimum of three months before the crane is due to be installed.

You'll need to enclose with your application a plan of the crane location including the area that will be oversailed.


You'll be requied to pay:

  • an annual fee of £250 (payable upon the completion of the agreement and each year thereafter that the licence is in effect)
  • legal fees on completion of the licence (approximately £1,000 - £2,000)

If you have any queries or concerns or require further information contact us.

Page last updated: 07 March 2018