Improvements to our website

We have made changes to our website to improve the way it looks and to give residents a better experience. You can find out more about this update here. 

Building materials licence

If you'd like to store building materials on a public highway, you'll need to apply for a licence. Whenever possible, you should store all building materials on your private land. 

Applying for a licence

You can apply for a building materials licence by downloading one of our application forms:

You must apply for the licence at least 15 working days before works are due to start. 

We advise you to read the guidance notes attached to the form before applying.

Before starting the application, make sure you have the following documents available:

  • a copy of your public liability insurance
  • company bank details and VAT number on letter headed paper (this is needed to set your company up on our systems and to pay back any deposits on your account)
  • all relevant site plans or diagrams

Find details of any suspension of parking bays that are required to carry out the works.


  • minor materials £121.10 (up to six sqm per month)
  • major materials £27 (per sqm per month)

Once the application has been reviewed, you'll be contacted with confirmation of the required fees. You can then pay online or by telephone.

A building materials licence is valid for four weeks. To extend, you'll need to re-apply at least two weeks before your current licence's expiry date.


Materials placed on the highway are potentially hazardous obstructions, so the licence includes conditions such as signing, lighting and traffic management.

We'll inspect your site on a regular basis. Your licensed activity must meet our terms and conditions. The terms and conditions must be agreed during your application.

If you have any queries or concerns or require further information, email

Page last updated: 18 April 2023


Privacy settings