Can I get Council Tax Reduction

You could get Council Tax Reduction if you’re on a low income or claim benefits. Your bill could be reduced by up to 100%, depending on your age, income, savings, household and circumstances.

Universal Credit doesn’t include help with your Council Tax so If you get Universal Credit and need help with your Council Tax, you’ll need to make a claim for Council Tax Reduction.

You can apply if you:

  • own or rent your home
  • are unemployed or working
  • are working age or pension age

We might need to see documents to support your claim. We’ll tell you what you need to provide when you’ve completed the form.

Make a claim for Council Tax Reduction

The amount of Council Tax Reduction you could get depends on:

  • your circumstances (for example whether you have children or a partner)
  • your age - whether you're working age or pension age
  • your income and capital (including benefits, earnings and savings)
  • how much your Council Tax is
  • how many children live with you
  • how many adults live with you

Use our benefit calculator for an estimate of how much Council Tax Reduction you could get.

Page last updated: 02 April 2024


Privacy settings