Browning Street - Streets for people
About the project
As part of the ongoing Walworth Streetspace scheme, our commitment to enhancing the local environment and ensuring the safety and well-being of our community is unwavering.
Over the past year, we’ve been collaborating closely with local residents, businesses, and stakeholders to reimagine Browning Street as a vibrant, people-friendly space. The input we’ve received from you has been invaluable in shaping our vision for Browning Street.
During our engagement exercises in June and September-October 2022, we set out key objectives for Browning Street transformation:
- Easier to cross and walk
- Safer for cycling
- Great for local businesses
- Welcoming and safer for everyone
- Healthier, with cleaner air
After working closely with the community, we are thrilled to announce that we have now finalised the proposed designs. They encapsulate the aspirations and needs of our community, reflecting our shared vision for a better Browning Street.
Overview drawing of proposal (PDF, 500kb)
The construction phase of this project is set to commence 2 October 2023 and be completed in December 2023.
- May/June 2022 – Phase 1 engagement - (On-street and online surveys, pop-up session, residential and business door knocking, publicity from Walworth Society) – complete
- September/October 2022 – Phase 2 engagement - (Present final design proposal, on-street and online surveys, pop-up session, residential and business door knocking, publicity from Walworth Society) – complete
- December 2022 – decision-making (Cabinet Member decides on whether to proceed with scheme proposal, subject to statutory consultation) – complete
- February/March 2023 – Statutory consultation – complete
- October/December 2023 – Construction work – pending
- Spring/Summer 2024 – Post-construction monitoring – pending
Page last updated: 27 September 2023