Reporting a pest problem

Pest control for private tenants

If you live in private rented accommodation, your landlord may be responsible for dealing with pests, including:

  • cockroaches
  • mice
  • rats
  • pharaoh ants (or other tropical ants)
  • pigeons (only if the nest is causing problems with mess, smells, flies or other insects)
  • wasps (only if the nest is causing a problem eg blocking an air vent or gas appliance vent)

If your landlord does not respond to your requests to deal with the problem, our private sector housing enforcement service can help you. After receiving your request, we will:

  • contact you within 3 working days to book an appointment
  • inspect the property at a convenient time (excluding weekends and bank holidays)
  • if necessary, serve a notice on your landlord to carry out the treatment or we will give you further advice

Contact our private sector housing enforcement service

Alternatively, you can request the service and pay for it yourself (if it does not conflict with your tenancy agreement).

Report a pest problem

Page last updated: 14 July 2020


Privacy settings