How to challenge a parking ticket or traffic penalty - PCN

If you have received a parking ticket and feel the parking ticket has been issued incorrectly, you can challenge it online.  If you decide to challenge it you must not pay it first.

When to make an informal challenge

Challenges against a parking ticket must be made immediately to avoid the parking ticket escalating.

When to make a Formal Representation

If you have received one of the following documents you can object to the parking ticket by making a Formal Representation:

  • Notice to Owner
  • Enforcement Notice
  • CCTV Penalty Charge Notice for parking contraventions.
  • CCTV Penalty Charge Notice for moving traffic contraventions.

Representations must me made within 28 days of receiving one of the above documents.

How do I make an informal challenge or lodge Formal Representations

The online facility allows you to see the photographs that are taken when a penalty is issued.  These will be available to be viewed two days after the parking ticket has been issued.

You will need to note exactly what happened and provide any other documents that you think will help your case.

You will need:

  • the 10 digit number at the top of the parking ticket (beginning with SO). If you’ve lost your ticket contact us on 0344 800 2736 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5.30pm)
  • the contravention code
  • your vehicle registration details

Alternatively a written challenge can be submitted by post to London Borough of Southwark, Parking Services, Admail 4197, SE1 1ZW or emailed to

Page last updated: 24 January 2020