Advice about homelessness

Useful links

The council is committed to helping you keep your home if at all possible or, if not, to advise and guide you through getting a new home. If you're unable to keep your home, we'll try and find you temporary accommodation while we look at whether we can find you somewhere permanent.

We'll be able to help if:

  • you have children that live with you
  • you're pregnant or are vulnerable
  • you've lost your home due to a fire
  • your home has been flooded and is not habitable

Advice and assistance from all the below organisations are free and confidential. We won't tell anyone you've been to seek advice unless you give us your permission. If you think you may become homeless soon, don't wait - contact us as soon as possible or contact the advice agencies below. The earlier you do, the more choices we may be able to give you to help sort things out.

For anyone to fully assess your situation, advice agencies will need some information from you. To speed up the process, it would be useful if you could bring the following information with you:

  • your tenancy agreement (if you have one)
  • any notices or letters given to you from your landlord
  • contact details of the people you've been living with
  • proof of ID for yourself and all members of your household
  • passport, driver's license or birth certificate
  • proof of your household's income (wage slips or proof of your Benefit entitlement including tax credits)

If you can't get all of these documents beforehand, don't worry, it just might take a little bit longer to provide you with full advice.


StreetLink is a website that enables the public to alert local authorities about rough sleepers in their area. This service offers the public a means to act when they see someone sleeping rough and is the first step someone can take to ensure rough sleepers are connected to the local services and support available to them.


Shelter offers advice on all housing-related issues as well as advocacy should you need it. If you want to speak to a member of the team contact them via:

  • 0808 800 4444


If you're homeless or at risk of being made homeless, you can get free help from Crisis. They offer education, training and support.

  • 0300 636 1967
  • opening house: 9:30am - 4:30pm

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

The CAB offers advice in person, over the phone and via email on a variety of problems. If you need advice on your housing situation or help with bidding, contact your local CAB.

Legal Advice Clinic

London South Bank University is currently running a Legal Advice Clinic. This is a free public drop-in advice service staffed by LSBU law students working under the supervision of practising solicitors.

They can provide general advice on any social welfare law matters including family, housing, employment, welfare rights, consumer and debt (except immigration). Following an initial assessment at a daytime drop-in session, you may be offered specialist legal advice in family and housing by appointment on a Thursday evening.


If you'd like advice on any issues relating to domestic violence or threatened violence contact the Solace team. They offer free practical advice as well as advising on other relevant services that might help you.


Refuge is a domestic abuse charity that operates the National Domestic Violence Helpline, providing confidential advice for domestic abuse victims. The service is free to call and available 24 hours a day, every day of the year, by a dedicated team of experts.

  • free advice line: 0808 2000 247


Centrepoint provides a safe place to live for more than 2,900 young people, aged 16 to 25, every year in London and the north east of England.

  • 0845 466 3400


Depaul works with young people experiencing homelessness. We provide emergency accommodation, supported housing and other services to help people rebuild their lives.

Stonewall Housing

Stonewall Housing offers advice about different housing-related issues to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT+) people. They may be able to help if you’re homeless or at risk of becoming homeless if your relationship with your family has broken down because of your sexual orientation or gender identity if you’ve been victimised or harassed if you need to escape from domestic abuse, if you need advice about a dispute with your landlord or if you need advice with your housing benefits.

  • 020 7359 5767 (open Monday to Friday 10am to 1pm)
  • drop-in sessions are held:
    • every Wednesday 2pm to 3.30pm at Origin Housing, St Richards House, 110 Eversholt Street, London NW1 1BS
    • every Friday 2pm to 3.30pm at London Friend, Caledonian Road, London N1 9DN
    • first Wednesday of every month 5pm to 7pm at CliniQ, 56 Dean Street, London W1D 6AQ (for trans people)

New Horizons

New Horizons provides a support network for 16 to 21 year olds who have no one else to turn to. They provide everything from hot food, showers and laundry to finding them accommodation, training and employment.

  • 020 7388 5560
  • Drop in: Monday to Friday 10:30am to 4pm (closed 1:30pm to 2pm), 68 Chalton Street, NW1 1JR

National Homeless Advice Service

The National Homeless Advice Service provides expert advice, training and support to housing professionals working in local councils, voluntary advice agencies, local Citizens Advice and public authorities in England.


If you’re feeling low and need to talk, call the Samaritans for free on 116 123.

Royal British Legion

The Royal British Legion provides local authorities and housing authorities with practical advice on how to support members of the Armed Forces community facing a housing problem or impending homelessness.

  • 0808 802 8080

Albert Kennedy Trust (AKT)

AKT supports LGBTQ+ young people in the UK experiencing homelessness or living in hostile environments to find safe homes, employment, education or training and to celebrate their identities to improve their life outcomes. Call the above number and from there AKT staff will provide support, advice and guidance to you. This could also include: completing benefit forms, housing referrals or providing emergency accommodation.

  • 020 7831 6562

Homelessness Prevention Affordability Assessment Tool

Use this calculator to review your budget, manage your finances better and check the affordability of alternative properties

Page last updated: 09 July 2024


Privacy settings