What you can do
Protecting yourself from poor air quality
If you, or someone you know, suffer from heart disease, angina, or lung conditions such as asthma or bronchitis, there are a number of useful resources to help avoid exposure to poor air quality.
airTEXT measures pollution levels in London and predicts when the air pollution levels may be harmful. The service will message you by text (SMS), voicemail or email.
The messages will provide you with health advice appropriate to the level of pollution expected. This could include taking your inhaler or angina spray with you, taking extra doses if symptoms get worse, and avoiding strenuous outdoor activity on polluted days.
Nowcast shows real time current pollution levels in London.
You can plan low pollution and less busy walking routes in London with Walkit.com. They also provide smartphone apps.
How to protect yourself from air pollution
For more information download the leaflets in the following links:
- Health and air quality at home - general advice (PDF, 144kb)
- Health and air quality at home - gas appliances (PDF, 153kb)
- Health and air quality at home - condensation (PDF, 181kb)
- Health and air quality - protect your health (PDF, 128kb)
- Health and air quality at work (PDF, 157kb)
Page last updated: 07 July 2023