Improvements to our website

We have made changes to our website to improve the way it looks and to give residents a better experience. You can find out more about this update here. 

Homes for Ukraine: Help with Council Tax

If you are a sponsor or a Ukrainian national with a HFU visa, find out about the help you can get with Council Tax and how to apply.

Homes for Ukraine scheme

The Homes for Ukraine (HFU) scheme allows sponsorts in the UK to nominate a Ukrainian individual or Ukrainian family to stay with them in their home or another property.

Ukrainian nationals who are granted leave to remain through the HFU scheme will be granted a three-year visa. Later, if they wish, they may find their own accommodation but will still be covered by the HFU visa.

Find out more about how you can offer help and support for Ukraine

Council tax reductions for sponsors

Sponsors will not lose their Council Tax discounts if they invite Ukrainian guests to stay with them under the HFU scheme.

For example, if you get a 25% discount because you are the only adult in a property, you will continue to receive the discount as the Ukrainian nationals will be disregarded.

If a sponsor’s property is exempt from Council Tax, they will not lose their exemption.

For example, if your property is exempt because all the residents are students, then you will continue to receive this exemption even if your Ukrainian guests are not students themselves.

Council tax discount for Ukrainian nationals with an HFU visa

If your sponsor provides separate accommodation for you, for example in another property the sponsor owns but does not live in, then you will be responsible for the Council Tax yourself.

If all the residents have HFU visas then you will receive a 50% discount. You will be responsible for paying half the Council Tax on the property, but you may be able to claim another benefit called Council Tax Reduction to help you pay your half of the Council Tax bill.

Read more about  claiming Council Tax Reduction from Southwark Council 

Ukrainian guests finding their own property

If a Ukrainian national has an HFU visa and the sponsorship arrangement ends, they can look for their own property to rent.

They will be responsible for the Council Tax themselves, but if all the residents have HFU visas then they will receive a 50% discount and they may also be able to claim Council Tax Reduction.

A Ukrainian national may also be able to claim Universal Credit for support with their day to day living expenses and help with the rent.

Applying for help with Council Tax

The sponsor must provide:

  • the names of the Ukrainian guests 
  • the date they moved in 
  • evidence that they have permission to enter or stay in the UK under the HFU scheme 
  • the address of the property the Ukrainian nationals occupy either with the sponsor or provided by the sponsor 

If the Ukrainian national has moved to their own independent accommodation, they must provide evidence that they have permission to enter or stay in the UK under the HFU scheme.

The Ukrainian national must provide:

  • a copy of a Ukrainian passport for all residents aged 18 or over including the page showing their UK visa issued under the HFU scheme.
  • a Home Office letter confirming they have permission to enter or stay in the UK under the HFU scheme.

They should send this evidence by using our Council Tax enquiry form quoting the account number shown on their Council Tax bill.     

Contact us

If you need guidance on how to apply and for all other Council Tax enquiries, use our Council Tax enquiry form

Page last updated: 02 November 2023


Privacy settings