The Mayor of Southwark
The Civic Office
The Mayoralty is supported by a small civic team that advises the Mayor in their role as First Citizen and ambassador for the borough. The team also leads a comprehensive annual programme of civic engagement.
Over the course of the year, the office arranges a varied programme of events and activities aimed at promoting community cohesion through civic engagement. These are in addition to the day to day diary of engagements carried out by the Mayor or those deputising on the Mayor’s behalf.
The civic office is also responsible for the organisation of an annual programme of civic ceremonial events including:
- the Inauguration of the Mayor and the Southwark Civic Awards. Which is incorporated as part of The Annual Meeting of the Council (May)
- Armed Forces Day (June)
- Remembrance Day (November)
- Holocaust Memorial Day (January)
- the Mayor’s annual Charity Ball (April/May)
- this is along with a number of charity fundraising and national commemorative events held throughout the year
The office is also responsible for arranging special ceremonies where the borough's highest honours, The Honorary Freedom of Southwark, are presented. In addition, the office also manages all ceremonial arrangements for conferring the title of Honorary Alderman on councillors who have served two consecutive terms.
If you'd like any further information or wish to invite the Mayor to attend and speak at your event or activity, contact the Civic Office via email at email@example.com.
Page last updated: 01 December 2023