Get election ready

The UK General Election is on 4 July. 
Register to vote by 18 June.
If you need to vote by post, you must apply to do this by 5pm on 19 June.
You need valid photo ID to vote in person. If you don’t have valid ID, apply by 5pm on 26 June for a Voter Authority Certificate.  
Find out more about voting and elections in Southwark

Environment, climate and energy efficiency

Trading standards, or other council officers, may enforce laws that deal with certain environmental, climate and energy efficiency requirements.   

Officers can issue financial penalties, or take other enforcement action, to deal with breaches, subject to certain criteria being met.

Energy efficiency labelling on goods

Energy information labels must be present on a variety of goods at the point of sale to inform consumers how efficient they are and how much energy they will use. The labels use a rating system of A to G. At least 17 types of energy-consuming products are subject to the requirements and further information can be found on the business companion website

Environmental controls

Various controls and bans are in force, for example on the following items:

  • single-use plastic straws (including those supplied with drinks products), plastic cotton buds and plastic drink stirrers
  • microbeads in rinse-off personal care products
  • mandatory 10p charges for single-use plastic carrier bags
  • requirements concerned with the environmental impact of packaging and packaging waste and limits on heavy metal content
  • solid fuel and wood fuel requirements concerned with air quality impact
  • detergents compositional requirements

Energy efficiency of rented properties

Energy efficiency regulations are in force to improve the standard of energy efficiency and thereby reduce emissions produced by heating and powering buildings.

Both the domestic and non-domestic private rented sectors are controlled. Unless exemptions apply no property below the minimum energy efficiency standard should be rented out.

The energy efficiency rating is set out in an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) which rates the property from band A to G.

Properties offered for rent must have a valid EPC. The minimum energy efficiency standard is E. Landlords need to take action to improve properties rated F or G or register an exemption.

Further information

If you need further trade advice on these requirements, visit the business companion website or contact us. 

Page last updated: 14 February 2023


Privacy settings