Private operator licence

If you'd like to operate a market with 5 or more pitches, either on public or private land, you must apply for an operator licence. 

If you wish to sell alcohol at your market, you're required to apply for a Temporary Event Notice (TENS).

If you intend to sell food at your market, as the operator you're responsible for ensuring all traders selling food are registered and you have the appropriate food and hygiene certificates.

Operators are responsible for ensuring that all waste is removed from the market

Applying for a licence

You can apply for a operator licence by downloading an application form (pdf, 183kb).

You can find market operator fees (pdf, 518kb) here.

Page last updated: 24 May 2022

Privacy settings