Get election ready

The UK General Election is on 4 July. 
Register to vote by 18 June.
If you need to vote by post, you must apply to do this by 5pm on 19 June.
You need valid photo ID to vote in person. If you don’t have valid ID, apply by 5pm on 26 June for a Voter Authority Certificate.  
Find out more about voting and elections in Southwark


If you’re self-employed or a company director, you can still apply for Housing Benefit but the information you need to provide may be different to someone who is employed.  

If you’re self-employed, you work for an income but aren't employed under a contract and don’t work for a wage or a salary (an employee).

If you’re a director of a limited company, you're not self-employed.

If you’re a subcontractor and you have tax and National Insurance contributions taken from your wages, you’re not self-employed. 


If you’re self-employed you’ll need to provide proof of self-employed earnings to support your claim:

  • A letter or document from HM Revenues and Customs that confirms the date you registered as self-employed and confirms your unique reference number.
  • Your self-employed accounts to cover the last 12 months, or from the start of trading to date if you haven't been self-employed for at least 12 months.
  • If you don’t have prepared accounts, please provide self employed details.
  • If you’ve only just started trading as self-employed, please provide self employed details.
  • If you’re in self-employed partnership, your partnership agreement.

We may need to see proof of your self-employed expenses. If so, we’ll contact you.

Limited company directors

If you’re a limited company director you’ll have:

  • registered a company with Companies House; and
  • received a certificate of incorporation confirming the company number and date of formation

If you’re a director of a company, we treat you as an employee and not as self-employed. You'll need to provide these proofs to support your claim:

  • Your latest prepared accounts for the business (known as 'statutory accounts') These must show full profit and loss details, and must include a copy of the balance sheet which shows the value of everything the company owns and is owed, shareholder details, and how many shares each shareholder holds.
  • Proof of your earnings from your company, such as wage slips or payroll records.
  • Proof of any other payments received from the company, such as dividend vouchers issued during the period the statutory accounts cover.
  • Business bank account statements (both current and reserve accounts) covering the same period that the statutory accounts cover.


If you’re a subcontractor and you have tax and National Insurance contributions taken from your wages, you're not self-employed. You'll need to provide proof of earnings in support of your claim:

  • If you're paid weekly, your last five wage slips.
  • If you're paid fortnightly, your last three wage slips.
  • If you're paid four-weekly or calendar monthly, your last two wage slips.

Page last updated: 03 January 2019


Privacy settings