Apply for emergency money


Emergency grants from Southwark Council
Charities that can tell you about a range of grants you can apply for
Get funding help from local charities
National funds you can apply to for money or living essentials
Get a grant through a housing association scheme

How to apply for cost of living money from Southwark Council, or from a local or national charity including for:

  • household essentials or clothing
  • if you or your child have a disability
  • young people in education

Charitable grants are gifts of money that you don't have to pay back. Sometimes you can get grants in other ways, for example as furniture, equipment, or a voucher.

Emergency grants from Southwark Council

If you need emergency support, there is a council fund you can apply for depending on your need and circumstances. 

If you or your partner receive one of the following means-tested welfare benefits or have applied for one in the last six weeks and await a decision, you can apply for help from the Southwark Emergency Support Scheme if you need help dealing with a crisis, emergency or disaster.

  • Universal Credit
  • Pension Credit
  • Employment & Support Allowance (income based)
  • Jobseekers Allowance (income based)
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit

Back to top

Charities that can tell you about a range of grants you can apply for

Turn 2 Us is a national charity that helps people in financial need get welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help. You can search the Turn 2 Us grants database to see what support you can apply for.

Back to top

Get funding help from local charities

A list of local charities, including specific funding for older residents, is included in United St Saviours Charity's "Where to look for grants and funding in Southwark" brochure. (PDF, 580kb)

United St Saviour's Southwark has created a funding guide to help residents and community groups find local and national funding (see section called ‘funders’ on the United St Saviour's Charity resources page).

Grants for older adults or children and adults with a disability or illness

Mary Minet Trust is a small grant-making charity that supports older adults or children and adults with a disability or illness in Southwark and Lambeth. A public or voluntary sector organisation must apply on your behalf by completing an application and consent form which they can get by:

Grants for adults in Southwark

St George the Martyr Charity supports people experiencing financial hardship, and older adults living in the former Metropolitan Borough of Southwark (roughly Borough, Bankside, Walworth and Newington).

  • if you’re over 55 you can contact the charity directly
  • if you’re under 55 you need a referral from a public or voluntary sector organisation

St George the Martyr Charity also runs a fund that provides small grants for items, services or facilities to support people with a disability or ill health in the same areas as above plus Bermondsey and Rotherhithe.

Southwark Charities runs a membership scheme for residents aged 55+. Benefits can include participation in a programme of annual activities and social events, cash gifts and holidays.

Grants to support young people in education

Newcomen Collett Foundation is a small local charity that provides grants to support Southwark young people in education under the age of 25.

St Olave’s Foundation supports Southwark students under 25 in higher/further education, apprenticeships or other educational activities. In the past they’ve given grants for laptops, printers, books and expenses associated with vocational training and musical instruments.

Back to top

National funds you can apply to for money or living essentials

A list of national funds, including specific funding for working professionals, is included in Southwark's cost of living support booklet. (PDF, 353kb)

Glasspool provides small grants for household items and essential clothing, for example, bedding, white goods, clothing and furniture. You need to ask your housing officer, Citizens Advice Southwark or a charity to apply on your behalf.

Family Fund supports UK families who are raising a disabled or seriously ill child or young person aged 17 or under.

Back to top

Get a grant through a housing association scheme

Many housing associations offer hardship grants and support to tenants in need. If you're a housing association tenant, contact your landlord to find out what support is available. 

Back to top

Page last updated: 16 November 2023


Privacy settings