Our healthy Walworth: Streetspace review is now live
Last year, Southwark Council introduced some experimental road changes in Walworth to re-purpose the street space and create a healthier, more active and greener environment for all.
Overall, across the borough, we want to:
- improve road safety
- reduce carbon emissions to help tackle the climate emergency
- make walking and cycling an enjoyable, safe and easy way to get around
- reduce inequalities in health and wellbeing
- reduce the amount of cut-through traffic
- reduce parking pressure for local residents
- encourage people to shop locally to support businesses and reduce car use
- improve air quality and reduce pollution and noise levels
- make more space on our pavements for social distancing to help keep everyone safe from COVID-19
The changes in Walworth aim to:
- re-purpose the street space for the community to relax, enjoy, socialise and support local businesses
- create safe spaces for active travel and play by reducing through traffic
- maintain and improve bus reliability
On 12 July 2021, we launched an eight week consultation with the public. The deadline to respond is 5 September 2021. We want to hear your views on the experimental road changes introduced and give you the opportunity to shape how the street space could be transformed.
You can take part in the consultation online or, if you don’t use a computer, you can request paper copies of the consultation documents so you can respond by post.
Please request this by writing to Highways Walworth Review, 3rd Floor, Hub 2, 160 Tooley Street, London, SE1 2QH.
Online meetings and pop-up stands
Throughout July and August, we will be hosting a number of engagement events where you can talk to the team and ask questions.
We will be holding three online community meetings on:
- Wednesday 4 August at 6pm
- Saturday 21 August at 2pm
- Wednesday 1 September at 6pm
We will also be holding a number of pop-up stands in the area, the dates and locations of this are:
- Amelia Street - Wednesday 21 July 2pm to 5pm
- Alberta Street - Tuesday 3 August 10am to 1pm
- Browning Street - Wednesday 11 August 12pm to 3pm
- Walworth Road - Friday 20 August 12pm to 3pm
- Cooks Road - Saturday 28 August 10am to 2pm
- newsletter July 2021 (pdf, 937kb)
- scheme visualisation:
- consultation flyer (pdf, 530kb)
Page last updated: 16 July 2021