Financial support for people renting

We provide advice and financial assistance to local tenants who live in social or private sector housing.

We can help in the following ways:

  • we manage the Discretionary Housing Payment fund (DHP), which is used to help tenants cope with housing costs 
  • we manage the Rent Arrears Fund, which provides a maximum payment of £500 to stop landlords evicting tenants because of rent arrears
  • we provide advice and assistance to those affected by welfare reforms, such as the Social Sector Size criteria (otherwise known as Bedroom Tax), Benefit Cap, Local Housing Allowance reforms or Universal Credit)
  • we help with budgeting and finding alternative solutions to housing needs (for example, providing a deposit so that you can move into a more affordable property)

We advise and assist tenants at risk of losing their homes or worried about their current housing situation. We actively work with other agencies, including Job Centre Plus who help tenants find employment or downsize through Smart Move or Mutual Exchange

If you need more information please contact us.

For free and confidential debt advice and personalised recommendations for resolving debt is available from Step Change.

Page last updated: 10 October 2019