Can we help with your support needs?
Who we are able to support
We recognise the huge contribution that carers make. Thousands of Southwark residents get the care and support they need from carers so they can continue to be well and live independently.
If you are a carer you may need support to continue helping your loved one with their care and support. We can assist you if you meet the criteria set by the government in The Care Act. For more information on this criteria, see the decisions on your long term support needs section below. A needs assessment will tell us if you meet this criteria for support.
We can provide you with information, advice and support to help with your support needs. You don’t need a needs assessment to receive this. There are many services in the community that you can use without a needs assessment.
We'll complete a needs assessment with you if you have support needs and you'd like an assessment. We'll do this with you over an appropriate and reasonable time period (taking into account the urgency of your needs). The needs assessment will consider your wellbeing and will be led by you as much as possible.
Following the needs assessment, if we can support you we'll produce a support plan with you. Any support provided as part of this plan will be available to you free of charge.
We use the criteria set out by the government in the Care Act to tell us if we can offer you support.
You can find information on this using the web links below:
- Eligibility criteria for carers with support needs under the Care Act 2014 (The Social Care Institute for Excellence)
- Assessment & Eligibility (Care & Support Statutory Guidance, The Department of Health)
How we can help even if we cannot support you with your long term support needs
If you do not meet the criteria for support from us, we will still offer you information and advice and tell you about other services to help you to live a good life.
Arranging a carers assessment
To request an assessment, use the following contact details.
If the person you care for is an older person or has physical disabilities:
- T: 020 7525 3324
If the person you care for is affected by mental health difficulties:
- T: 020 3751 9684
- E: email@example.com
- Address: Thames Reach Employment Academy, 29 Peckham Road, London, SE5 8UA
If the person you care for is affected by learning disabilities:
- T: 020 7525 2333
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org
A member of our team will respond to your email as soon as possible during opening hours. Emails received at weekends will be responded to on Mondays, except on bank holidays.
When you contact us we'll ask you for details. Depending on the information you provide, we'll either:
- provide you immediate information and advice regarding local support and services
- redirect you to a more appropriate source to deal with your request, if we're not able to help
- refer you to the appropriate team or arrange an appointment for a practitioner in the team to further assess your situation
- Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm
- Saturday and Sunday, closed
You can contact our out of hours team for an emergency outside of our working hours. This service solely deals with emergencies and doesn't deal with general enquiries.
- Out of hours 020 7525 5000
You will find on this page under ‘documents’ a leaflet that provides information about support for carers in Southwark. You can download and print the leaflet.
Page last updated: 13 May 2022