In year admissions
What is an in year admission?
You would normally be making an in year application if:
- your child does not currently have a school place to attend; or
- your child has recently moved into the borough or has arrived from another country
You must contact our school admissions team so that we can assist you in finding a suitable school place for your child.
Our school admissions team will be able to guide you through the correct in year application process for you. In Southwark, there are four routes to apply for an in year place and differ depending on the schools you want to apply for and your child’s circumstances. The in year application routes are set out below.
Southwark in year application process
Schools that co-ordinate and manage their own in year applications
If you're applying for an in year place at any of the Southwark schools listed below, you must apply to them directly. For further details on how to apply please visit each school’s website.
- Boutcher CE Primary School
- The Cathedral School of St Saviours & St Mary Overie
- Charles Dickens Primary School
- English Martyrs’ Catholic Primary School
- Friars Foundation Primary School
- Galleywall Primary City of London Academy
- Harris Primary Academy East Dulwich
- John Keats Primary School
- Judith Kerr Primary School
- Peter Hills with St Mary’s and St Paul’s C of E Primary School
- Redriff Primary School
- St Anthony’s Catholic Primary School
- St Francis RC Primary School
- St James’ CE Primary School
- St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School, George Row
- St Jude’s CE Primary School
- St Peter’s CE Primary School
- Ark All Saints Academy
- Bacon’s College
- Harris Academy Bermondsey
- Harris Academy Peckham
- Harris Boys' Academy East Dulwich
- Harris Girls’ Academy East Dulwich
- Sacred Heart RC Secondary School
- St Thomas the Apostle College
- The City of London Academy Southwark
- South Bank University Academy
In year applications co-ordinated by Southwark Council’s school admissions team
If your child is currently not attending a Southwark school and you'd like to apply for an in year place at a Southwark school that is not listed at Route 1 above, you must complete Southwark Council's online in year application.
If you're a Southwark resident and applying to a school outside of Southwark
You must contact the borough where the school is located to ask about their in year application arrangements.
Transferring your child from one Southwark school to another Southwark school
You will need to speak directly with your child’s current headteacher in the first instance. Once you have spoken with the headteacher, they will then make arrangements to provide you with information on the school to school transfer process.
- families who are applying for a voluntary aided (church) schools, academy, foundation or free schools, must contact the school directly to ask if they're required to complete a Supplementary Information Form (SIF); all completed SIFs must be returned directly to the school of application
- in year applications will not be processed during school holiday periods
After submitting your application, you will receive an outcome within 15 school days.
If the school you have named on the in year application cannot offer your child a place, they will let you know the reasons why and tell you about your right to appeal. Information about how to appeal will also be on each school’s website. You cannot submit an appeal until you have been told the outcome of your application.
For further information, view Southwark Council’s in year admissions application process flow chart.
Page last updated: 21 February 2023