In partnership with Transport for London (TfL) and Lambeth Council, we aim to improve Camberwell town centre to make it a better place to shop and visit. The focus of the project is the area around the town centre, defined as the point where Camberwell New Road, Camberwell Road, Camberwell Church Street and Denmark Hill meet.
We've also been working with TfL to develop proposals for Barclays Cycle Superhighway Route 5 (CS5), which runs between New Cross Gate and Victoria and through Camberwell. You can visit TfL’s website for further details on the route.
What's taken place so far
We've made the following progress:
- secured development funding from TfL and identified internal funding to initiate the project
- completed the first stage of consultation with the local community, results can be seen in the initial consultation report (pdf, 3.2mb); there was also a Spaceshaper exercise, which produced this report (pdf, 6.6mb)
- produced the first stage of the Camberwell Urban Design Framework (pdf, 15.7mb) to help guide the development of improvements
- collected data such as traffic and pedestrian movements, kerbside activity and bus operations in the town centre and produced the existing conditions report (pdf, 7.3mb)
- prepared concept designs
- completed the second stage of consultation with the local community; see the consultation report (pdf, 820kb)
What's happening now
We're working together with TfL to agree a preferred design.
When will the project be delivered
The Camberwell Streets scheme hasn't been scheduled for delivery yet.
Page last updated: 10 August 2017