Borough, Bankside and London Bridge
Keppel Row and America Street environmental improvements
The council is working with Better Bankside and local businesses to improve the environment and public realm in Bankside. In 2014 we secured funding to clean and upgrade the railway tunnel on Great Guildford Street. We also installed yorkstone paving and three planters on Wardens Grove. We are writing to now update you on two new projects on Keppel Row and America Street.
On Keppel Row we have secured a small pot of funding from the developer of 61 Southwark Street to improve the historic alleyway. We have completed an initial design exercise and would like to hear your thoughts on the suggested improvements which are summarised in the attached plan and include:
- a new lighting "catenary" scheme along the alleyway which will be attached to the buildings either side of the alley. Please note the lights will be directed downwards and will not illuminate into any residential windows
- a new "resin-bound gravel" surface treatment to improve the appearance of the walkway. Note paving cannot be installed as there are so many low levels services and basements
- new planters with planting kindly maintained by Better Bankside working with local volunteers. If you are interested in volunteering to help us to look after these new plants please do get in touch.
- the two historic "Clink bollards" will be refurbished and restored to their original condition.
- small art works to celebrate the history of the historic alleyway including a small Keppel figurine attached to the London Councils building at 59 1/2 Southwark Street
We are also working with the managers of 59 1/2 Southwark Street to install a new green roof.
On America Street we have been working with the businesses along the street to investigate potential measures to improve the air quality of the street. To test how this can be done we have developed the "Metal Box Garden" concept and will trial the installation of two temporary skip gardens on the street. The two skips have been painted and are currently being planted in the car park behind the Crossbones Graveyard on Southwark Street. The two temporary gardens will be installed on the week commencing 18 September and we would love to hear your feedback.
Why not join us to find out more
We are very keen to hear your views on this draft proposal (pdf, 877kb) and have organised a consultation event where you can come and meet the partners and the design team to discuss the project. The event will take place on the street at America Street by the Metal Box Garden on Wednesday 11 October 1830-1930. If you cannot make the event we would be very keen to hear any comments you might have about the proposal and you can contact us in any of the following ways:
- call us on 020 75255450
- email us at email@example.com
- write to us at Chief Executive's Department, Southwark Council,160 Tooley Street London, SE1 2QH
For any queries for Better Bankside, in particular the trial Metal Box Garden please contact Valerie Beirne at firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 020 7928 3998.
We would be grateful if you could contact us by 20 October. Subject to consultation and council approval processes, we would look to construct the works over a 3 month period during early 2018.
Page last updated: 10 January 2019