Guide to use classes
The below is a brief summary of the main use categories recognised under the Use Classes (Amendment) Order 2005:
- A1 - General retail and retail warehouses, travel and ticket agencies, internet cafes, sandwich bars
- A2 - Professional and financial services, estate and employment agencies
- A3 - Restaurants, cafes, snack bars/shops for the sale of food to be cooked and/or consumed on the premises
- A5 - Hot food takeaways
- Sui Generis - Sale and display of motor vehicles, launderette and taxi or vehicle hire businesses, theatres
- B1 - Offices not with A2, light industrial and studios
- B2 - General industrial
- B8 - Wholesale warehouses and distribution centres
- D1 - Non-residential educational and training centres, clinics, nurseries and consulting rooms
On 15th April 2015 The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 (the GPDO) was introduced to consolidate and update a number of new changes to permitted development.
The council has introduced a new Article 4 Direction with immediate effect. The Article 4 Direction was approved by Planning Committee on 8th September 2015. You can find out more information on the changes.
Please visit the Planning Portal for a more detailed list of use classes.
Page last updated: 19 October 2017