SPD by planning topic
Affordable Housing SPD
Our Affordable Housing SPD (pdf, 1.8mb) was adopted in 2008 and a draft update was consulted on in 2011 (pdf, 1.5mb). The SPD sets out the council’s approach to securing affordable housing as part of residential development. It expands on the policies contained within our Development Plan.
What we mean by affordable housing
Our definition of affordable housing is: 'Meets the needs of households whose incomes are not enough to allow them to buy or rent decent and appropriate housing in their borough.'
Within our planning policies we identify two types of affordable housing:
- Social rented housing
- Intermediate housing
Following the introduction of affordable rent, we clarified our affordable housing policies in a report which was agreed at planning committee in December 2011 (pdf, 68kb).
View and download the supporting documents for the SPD below:
- consultation report (pdf, 170kb)
- equalities impact assessment (pdf, 130kb)
- sustainability appraisal (pdf, 849kb)
- intermediate housing affordability thresholds (pdf, 254kb)
- list of registered affordable housing providers (pdf, 22kb)
Page last updated: 08 March 2019